Policy and Regulatory Development Section Head (Senior Legal Counsel)
|contract type||Full Time|
|country||United Arab Emirates|
The Policy and Regulatory Development Section Head plays a key role in the Regulatory Affairs department of the Abu Dhabi Creative Authority (ADCA), as he/she provides leadership and management support in the development and implementation of the regulatory framework and policies of ADCA to ensure alignment with ADCA’s objectives, Abu Dhabi and UAE laws and policy objectives.
The Section Head is responsible for overseeing the implementation mechanisms to ensure compliance with the regulatory framework, guidelines and regulations managing support for policy matters and overseeing the implementation of mitigation measures. The Section Head provides ongoing legal and regulatory support to the department and assists the Director on all regulatory policy initiatives, takes part in overseeing the regular update of the authority’s regulatory framework by closely overlooking the revaluation of the current framework and monitoring the impact of new regulations.
The Section Head also manages the day-to-day operations of the Policy and Regulatory Development Section and/or other regulatory and legal aspects of the department.
Duties & Responsibilities
Oversee the regulatory framework and manage the regulatory function of ADCA
- Run the day-to-day operations of the regulatory function of ADCA including providing regulatory advice to other departments of ADCA
- Assist Director with the development of the regulatory framework for the Media Production and Interactive Media Sectors for Abu Dhabi. Develop, communicate and implement policies and procedures relating to all regulatory aspects of the Media Production and Interactive Media Sectors.
- Assist Director to review and improve, as needed, ADCA’s regulatory policies and procedures to ensure they achieve the objectives of the ADCA and Abu Dhabi, reflect international best practice and comply with relevant laws and regulations.
- Manage the development of a compliance regulatory framework for the Media Production and Interactive Media Sectors for Abu Dhabi, encourage, promote and monitor (as required) compliance with ADCA regulatory framework by the relevant sectors/entities/individuals in Abu Dhabi
- Oversee the assemblance of benchmarks and research by the Senior Specialist and coordinate the utilization of the data to draft policies and procedures for the Media Production and Interactive Media industry (e.g. Film and Multimedia, Gaming and eSports)
- Oversee the performance of regular reviews of ADFC guidelines and policies in order to update ADFC Guidelines and related regulatory policies/procedures for the Media Production sector
- Provide leadership and management support for the team including developing and implementing strategy, work allocation, developing and maintaining best practice, career development, performance evaluation, inspiring and motivating team, providing mentoring and feedback, and training
Develop and oversee the free zone regulatory framework
- Develop and oversee the procedures for incorporating companies/establishing branches and freelancers in the free zone.
- Develop and oversee the business licensing procedures for companies, branches and freelancers both for new licenses and renewals.
- Develop and oversee the procedures for issuing and renewing dissemination/broadcast licenses including liaising and coordinating with the Media Regulatory Office as appropriate.
- Oversee the teams management of all regulatory aspects of a free zone registered company/branch lifecycle including changes to shareholdings, management, business activities etc.
- Develop, communicate and implement policies and procedures relating to all regulatory aspects of the lifecycle of companies/branches/freelancers.
- Oversee the implementation and use of the free zone Compliance Procedures effectively to ensure company/branch/freelancer’s compliance with the free zone regulations and policies.
Development of Content and Compliance
- Supervise content review elements of ADCA and provide guidance on content to promote compliance with the ADCA Regulatory Framework and UAE media laws/regulations.
- Oversee the review of scripts for productions taking place in Abu Dhabi to ensure compliance with the relevant content regulations and codes.
- Oversee the script approval process in coordination with the relevant Federal media regulator.
- Engage with the, relevant Federal media regulator, as appropriate, to facilitate policies and procedures development in accordance with existing regulations
- Actively participate in development initiatives related to the regulation of the Media Production and Interactive Media Sectors for Abu Dhabi.
- Manage and coordinate ad-hoc support for ADCA related policy and regulatory matters provided by external advisors and nurture those relations
- Assess relevant action to be taken in relation to regulatory/compliance issues and sanctions related to breaches of the ADCA regulatory framework.
- Oversee the implementation and use of ADCA’s compliance procedures effectively to ensure compliance with the regulations and policies and make recommendations as to sanctions for non-compliance.
Development of Creative Visa Policies and Procedures
- Assist Director with overseeing the Creative Visa scheme (on behalf of, and as authorized by, DCT) including the application and review processes, review and develop the Creative Visa Rules and any related regulatory instruments and manage and coordinate any related regulatory/compliance issues in accordance with DCT and Immigration.
Education, Experience & Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field (e.g. law, engineering, clinical sciences, or public health) from an internationally recognized academic institution
- Licensed legal practitioner in noted common law or civil code jurisdiction
- Media regulatory specialization experience and/or qualification
- 8/10 years of experience in media/creative/regulatory affairs or a related area
- 3+ years of management experience within media/creative/ regulatory affairs
- Relevant exposure to regulatory affairs in previous occupationsIndustry-related training
- Understand the media sector and regulations in the region and global industry trends.
- Knowledge of the regulatory and legal framework in the UAE and the region.
- In house practical experience desirable
- Language: Full professional English proficiency both in speaking and writing; Arabic desirable
- Skilled in MS Office (PowerPoint, Word and Excel)
- Demonstrated legal and business analytical skills
- Ability to determine, formulate and implement policy
- Ability to work quickly and creatively
- Leadership and teamwork skills with the ability to build relationships
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Sound business judgment
- Multi-tasking capability
- Ability to mentor and train junior staff
- Strong managerial and people management skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Self-motivated with a proven ability to complete work in a timely manner